Sunday, August 14, 2011

Afro Celt What the Hey is this?


Let’s talk about “World Music.”

At the old Virgin Megastores (miss those gigantic, corporate bastards oh so much) somewhere near the back, was a rack or two of music from all over the world, at least a quarter of which were from Peter Gabriel’s Real World label.

“World Music” is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, it’s about people learning about different music, and appreciating other cultures native sounds. Sometimes, it’s about western pop types getting really funky and partnering with non-western types to rock the fuck out.

Sometimes, it’s an aging English rock start making an embarrassing documentary about drumming in Africa. Sometimes, it’s a weapon the more pretentious use against the less pretention to prove their music tastes are superior.

Sometime’s it’s just a mess of what the fuck that your ears can bleed.

Afro-Celtic Sound System, Vol.3 piqued my interest based on the regular airplay of a song featuring  Peter Gabriel, “Falling,” featuring a man falling from the sky, through the Earth, and out the other side. I saw it for cheap at a little CD store in the Pavonia Newport Mall in beautiful Jersey City, right by where I lived for a bit.

I have rarely had such a serious “WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST PAY FOR?” reaction as I’ve had with this. I love Celtic music, I dig most African sounds. Hell, I actually liked a lot of Deep Forest’s stuff.

Don’t judge me.

But this is just such an indulgent, ready to be background music in a 1990’s English chocolate commercial mess, I have no idea what they were thinking, or intending. It must be like being trapped at a weekend long Phish show without being a fan or being stoned off your ass.

The actual CD was thrown back to the winds of fate years ago. I still have it on  MP3 in case I need to hear “Falling” or scare animals and small children.

World music doesn’t automatically suck. But ohmygod, Afro Celt Sound System, Vol, 3, most surely does.


Artist: Afro Celt Sound System
Album: Vol. 3
Year: 2001
Date Listened in Tour: 7/17/08
Rating: *
Best Songs: Falling

No comments:

Post a Comment