Wednesday, July 20, 2011

But How Do I Know What I Want To Know?


So how are the best ways to get a clue about music besides spending too much money for it? True, it’s a touch easier with the internet these days. But what you get in access, you lose in the sheer flood of data. Best ways are to know about music:

1)     Work in it.
2)     Have family in it.
3)     Have a friend in it.

I’ve been lucky enough to have all 3 apply. And while I need to be vague on some details, I recommend spending some time in the industry.. or at least putting some time in supporting an artist or two, or getting in good at a local bar with a good schedule of performances. There is just too much volume of music out there to not have one or two means of getting more than you normally would, or getting access to bands you won’t normally here.

Now, you may not get to hear the biggest in the business. Nor will you love everything you hear. But, you will find some gems to treasure, some bronze trinkets you won’t mind having seen, and some bits of zirconium.

And then there’s Starcode. OH FUCKING GOD THEY SUCK. If you see them run, run as fast as you can.

Seth Adams is a decent singer/songwriter with his band I caught through a club friend. I’m giving them a two for the CD. Which I am struggling over, because they weren’t bad, just didn’t light me on fire. They did a good live show, were great guys, and if you see them on a bill, give them a try.

So don’t take this as a don’t give a try.. just take this as me passing on decent enough artists in the night.

Artist: Seth Adams
Album: Amplify
Year: 2010
Date Listened in Tour: 7/18/11
Rating: **
Best Song: Vermont
 

No comments:

Post a Comment